UK Housing Style Timeline

Content supplied to us by

Tudor – 1485 – 1603

tudor house

The Tudor house was defined by its Tudor arch and oriel windows. The Tudor period was the first period to move away from the medieval style houses and was more like a timber framed country house. Today Tudor houses are all listed building and highly sought after due to there location and the amount of space and history involved. Tudor houses are an expensive housing option so be prepared for the financial layout and upkeep costs. If that doesn’t put you off then buying a Tudor house could be a great investment and opportunity to keep English heritage alive.

Elizabethan – 1550 -1625

elizabethan house

Elizabethan houses can be recognised by their large vertical timber frames that are often supported by diagonal beams. The Elizabethan style houses were similar to medieval style houses. These houses were built sturdy to last through the age. The houses were built by the middle class are are today listed building.

Jacobean – 1603 – 1625

Jacobean house

The Jacobean style gets its name from King James 1 of England who reigned at the time. The Jacobean style in England follows the Elizabethan style and is the second phase of Renaissance architecture. May Jacobean houses were very large both inside and out with large rooms for family living.  Common features included columns and pilasters, arches and archades. These features were to create a sense of grandeur. There are many Jacobean style houses on the market today if your lucky enough to be able to afford one.

Stuart – 1603 – 1714

stuart house

One of the most common period property types for country houses. This period house boasted elegant exteriors with sash windows, high ceiling and spacious rooms. The outside was commonly bare brick and flat fronted.

English Baroque – 1702 – 1714

During this period houses were decorated with arches, columns and sculptures and took many features and characteristics from the continent. The interiors were very exuberant with artwork and ornaments in all rooms main rooms

Palladian – 1715 -1770

palladian house

The Palladian era started in 1715 and these types of houses are characterised by symmetry and classic forms, more plain than other eras however on the inside houses were lavish and often had elaborate decorations

Georgian – 1714 – 1837

georgian house

The Georgian house was styled with rigid symmetry, the most common Georgian house was built with brick with window decorative headers and hip roofs. The Georgian house period started and got its name due to the 4 successive kings being named George.

Regency – 1811 – 1820

regency house

The Regency housing style was common among the upper and middle classes from 1811 to 1820 the houses were typically built in brick and then covered in painted plaster. The plaster was carefully moulded to produce elegant decorative touches to give the exterior of the house more elegance.

Victorian – 1837 – 1910

victorian house

Very common even today especially in London. A Victorian house in general refers to any house build during the reign of Queen Victoria. The main features of a Victoria house are roofs made of slate with sash windows and patters in the brick work that are made using different colour bricks. Stained Glass windows and doors were also a common feature as were bay windows

Edwardian – 1901 -1910

edwardian house

Edwardian architecture got its name during the reign of King Edward from 1901 – 1910. These types of houses were generally built in a straight line with red brick. Edwardian houses typically had wooden frame porches and wide hallways. The rooms inside were wider and brighter moving away from the older style houses that were more gothic. Parquet wood floors and simple internal decoration was common also.

Planning Application for Fontenoy House – 17/00566/FUL

For clarification on the planning status of Fontenoy House, please see below. Although they had permission from the original planning appeal they are making sure of the 3 year renewal due in June.

The ‘Planning and heritage statement’ lodged with the application, states:


These are precisely the same as those granted permission on appeal. The application merely seeks to renew the extant planning permission. Essentially the proposals relate to the construction of two, 2 bedroom flats on the existing flat roof in the form of an additional storey set back behind the parapet wall. Access to the flats would be from the existing two internal staircases although an addition to the existing external fire escape staircase would be formed at the rear of the building. The proposed new storey would have a flat roof with vertical walls clad in a rainscreen facade to complement the brickwork below.’

And also:


There has not been any material change in circumstances since the grant of planning permission by the Planning Inspectorate in June 2014 and as such there are no valid planning reasons not to renew the permission granted that is still extant.’

This document and all of the other documents/drawings lodged can be viewed on our Public Access website by searching for the application reference.

Please note that this information has been taken from a document lodged by the applicant and we have not actually considered the proposal in any detail to confirm that it is correct.

This application will be processed in the normal way. Members of the public now have an opportunity to comment and a Ward Councillor has the option of calling it in to be considered by the planning committee.

Ten Gun Battery and Saluting Platform repointing

Works commencing Monday July 25th will repoint the priority areas of the seaward face of the seawalls at Ten Gun Battery and Saluting Platform. The aim of these works is to reduce the risk of failures during storm events, as there have been previous failures in past winters on these walls. The works will be supervised and managed by the Eastern Solent Coastal Partnership as the shared service coastal team for Portsmouth City Council.

Caroline Barford, Coastal Engineer, Eastern Solent Coastal PartnershipIt told FOOPA, ‘It has been a long process with Historic England to gain approval of the materials to use on this, which we have now achieved and our contractor for these works will be the same contractor used on the emergency works following the damage which occur from Storm Katie. They learnt to work with the materials on these smaller works and will be taken this knowledge forward to these more major works.

The works will be commencing on Monday 25th July and due to complete by 9th September 2016. The due to the materials used there is a limited season we can undertake the works, so we need to undertake them during the summer months. The works will have a scaffold on the seaward side of the walls, with access up and over the wall from the upper promenade. Pedestrian access will be maintained throughout the works, although during the phase for the Saluting Platform repointing (second phase) we may need to fence off some of the benches for public safety and access.

The site compound will be at the top of the access ramp off Grande Parade. Due to the nature of the works and heritage structure the works should cause limited disruption as the works will have limited deliveries and use hands tools. We will be placing project information posters on the approaches at the start of the works to inform the public with contact details should they have further queries.”

Guy Mason, Coastal and Drainage Manager, PCC has said that, “all reasonable precautions to prevent tombstoners accessing the scaffold platform will be taken.”

The Royal Garrison Church

The building was originally established as a hospice for pilgrims, the sick and the elderly in 1212 and known at that time as the Domus Dei (God’s House). The Chancel was the Chapel and the Nave the Hospital. This use continued until the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 16th century. During the twenty years following this, the buildings were neglected and the Church used as an armoury. In the reign of Queen Elizabeth I, plans were made for strengthening the fortifications of Portsmouth (the extent of the town being the part now known as Old Portsmouth) and the Domus Dei and its adjacent buildings were put into good order for use by the Garrison; a house was built for a Governor. In 1662, Catherine of Braganza landed in Portsmouth to marry King Charles II. He arrived a few days later and married her in the Presence Chamber of the Governor’s House.

The floor was concreted and tiled, the oak choir stalls were provided, windows were enlarged and glazed with stained glass, the organ was installed and many more improvements were carried out. Much of the work perished when the Church was hit by an incendiary bomb during an air raid on 10th January 1941, but the Chancel was saved although the stained glass to the windows was destroyed. Temporary repairs were carried out to enable the Chancel to be put into use by the following Easter. There have since been further repairs and new stained glass windows have been installed.

The fabric of the building is now maintained by English Heritage. A group of volunteers forming The Friends of the Royal Garrison Church care for the interior of the building and the artifacts which it contains. The Church is open to the public from 1st April to the end of September on weekdays from 11am to 4pm. Admission is free. Opening is dependent, however, on there being sufficient volunteers available and currently helpers are being sought to become, initially, assistants to the guides.
Anyone interested in becoming a volunteer is invited to contact the Secretary of The Friends of the Royal Garrison Church, Trevor Gale.


Parking Restrictions and Road Closures:

On the morning of Saturday 22 October, the Great South Run 5K Runwill take place from 10.30am. Road closures will be in place on Clarence Esplanade from South Parade to Clarence Pier, Pier Road south of Duisburg Way and Avenue de Caen. Western Parade will be closed from 9am-11.15am to remove any vehicles in the area with parking restrictions.

Parking restrictions will be enforced on Sunday 23 October from 6am in Pier Road, Gordon Road, Pembroke Road, High Street, Clarence Parade – all pay & display spaces outside of Home Heights to the junction of Auckland Road West, 5 spaces to the West and 16 spaces to the East either side of the dropped kerb by the gate on to Southsea Common; 3 spaces outside of number 3, The Turret and 4 spaces opposite number 7, Clarence Parade – and South Parade (from the junction of Eastern Villas Road to the junction of Clarendon Road and all spaces on the south side adjacent to The Dell gardens).

20 parking spaces opposite numbers 1 – 4, Western Parade will be suspended throughout the weekend and a vehicle tow away will begin at 9am on Saturday morning.

Please note that any vehicles left in an area that has been suspended with a tow away sign, or obstructing the highway on any part of the course, will be removed to Victoria Avenue/Victoria Avenue Spur. Notices will be displayed the week prior to the event. Once the race has passed by, these restrictions will be removed.

Please be advised that any vehicle parked in a suspended area, or obstructing the highway, may receive a Penalty Charge Notice in addition to being removed.

Free parking for residents, with valid permits for the areas where parking is suspended, will be available on Southsea Common east of Pier Road on Race Day from 6am until 4pm.

Road Closures will be in place on each section of the race route around the city from 9.45am on Sunday 23 October and will be removed when it is safe to do so. Full traffic diversion signage will be in place at all locations affected by road closures. The competitors will pass through the Old Portsmouth and Southsea seafront area between 10.20am and 1pm approximately.

Further details of all road closures are on the ‘Traffic Regulation Orders 2016’ page of our website Closures for this event are listed No 2 – ‘Special Events Notice’

Thank you for your co-operation in this matter and apologies in advance for any inconvenience caused.

Wightlink ‘Drop in’ meeting to update OP residents on progress of works at Gunwharf

Dear neighbour,
We are pleased to tell you that all is progressing well with the redevelopment of our Gunwharf car ferry terminal as part of our £45million investment in our lifeline link to the Isle of Wight.
While we are trying our best to complete the work with the minimum inconvenience to our neighbours and the community, we are sorry if we have caused you any problems over the last few weeks.
If you would like to know more about our project and talk to some of our senior managers, please come along to our next ‘drop in’ session in the Trant compound at our Gunwharf car ferry terminal in Portsmouth. It will be held Tuesday May 9 16:00-18:00.
It’s not a formal meeting with presentations – instead a chance for people to drop in when they can to ask questions of the senior managers.
Although we expect this consultation event to be of most interest to our Portsmouth neighbours, Isle of Wight people are equally welcome to come along. Please let me know if you would like to be at the meeting and we will send you a foot passenger ticket.
We hope to see you there.

Over recent weeks there have been increasing complaints by OP and Gunwharf residents about traffic problems with the Wightlink Gunwharf development.

Concerns raised include:

  1. Traffic queuing back to junction of St Georges Rd and Gunwharf Rd. The queue stops Gunwharf Quays residents getting home without them being blocked by other motorists who think they are queue jumping.
  2. Wightlink gives insufficient notice when they expect traffic disruption.
  3. Congestion stretching as far back as the roundabout at top of High Street (see photos) which increases the risk of gridlock spreading across the city. Early Bank Holiday weekend the congestion stretched along Cambridge Road and Museum Road.

Longer term concerns

  1. Portsmouth’s draft Air Quality strategy aims to reduce air pollution. Public Health England assesses that there are 95 early deaths each year in Portsmouth attributable to particulate air pollution (e.g. from diesel engines) More deaths can be assumed to result from other air pollutants. One of the city’s air pollution ‘hot spots’ is in Lord Montgomery Way (the gyratory by the university) where nitrous dioxide limits regularly exceed legal limits (40 micrograms per cubic metre). Extra traffic generated by the Wightlink expansion will increase air pollution. This was not addressed in Wightlink’s environmental assessment and was not challenged by PCC.
  2. FOOPA has pressed the point with PCC that Wightlink failed to produce analysis to match the ferry disembarking times with St. George’s Rd junction and PCC failed to provide rigorous scrutiny of the Wightlink plans. PCC has been unable to provide a technical rebuttal of FOOPA criticisms.